Monday, August 17, 2009

The Power of a Lifetime of Learning

In the coming weeks, I will offer you advice for raising your student scholar. This advice can be found in my book, "Say Yes To College: A Practical and Inspirational Guide to Raising College-Bound Kids" with foreword by Bill Cosby. I hope you will enjoy, learn and give me a call.

Setting the Stage for a Lifetime of Learning
The willingness to learn is the most important single skill we can teach our children. In order to do that we have to possess a curiosity and a desire to know more than we are being told. Parents in my workshops are brought up short at the notion that their video game-playing, I-don't-care-about-anything child can become an inquisitive, knowledge-seeking person, but I can tell them confidently that it is possible.

The same is true for parents. Parents who are themselves lifelong learners - who read, take classes, and are involved in the community - demonstrate to their kids the importance of being in the know at any and every age.

I have always valued the power of education. My kids heard from both their father and me how important it is to continue to learn, even outside of school. I had clear ideas, very early on, of how I wanted to raise my children. I've changed as my children have grown, but never wavered in my core beliefs, that children should be obedient, thoughtful, and encouraged by their parents to do everything that furthers their education. Learning and accomplishment are never ending, and the process of learning is an ability that everyone possesses. It is school and so much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please pass this on

Dalton will inspire your heart

Iphone friendly version