Wednesday, September 23, 2009

"Working Your Village" Back to School


Sometimes I miss the excitement and anticipation that preparing the kids for back to school always brings. New clothes, school supplies, teachers, classrooms and rules all add to the always changing routine of those first few weeks. Although my kids are now both in their thirties, I am still involved in their pursuits of higher education and back to school.

Over summer vacation, Corey decided to return to school, yet again (at age 30) to complete a Doctorate degree in Education. She enlisted me to write a letter of recommendation as a former employer as she expressed her consternation at possibly not being accepted due to a waiting list of students. It just so happened, that the school she wanted to attend, was a university I had contacted about being a sponsor for my Yes2Kollege Saturday Scholars Academy of middle school parents and students who prepare for college over a six week period. I met with the President and discussed our future partnership. While telling him about the program, I just happened to mention my daughters plans to return to school. He suggested I mention her applying at his university. So, I did.

She did the research, and decided the class time, fee's, location and ability to work online, met all of her requirements. She applied, met with staff and was informed that there happened to be a waiting list. When she mentioned her apprehension at being selected, I of course, referred to my networking bag of tricks. I gave the President a call, told him about her application, and asked if he would help. He committed to putting her on the VIP list, to make sure she was accepted. Voile!!! She begins class in a few days.

In my workshops, I cannot over stress the importance of using your network of friends, acquaintances, and even strangers who might be able to help you, or help you find someone who knows someone, who knows someone. I call this "Working Your Village". We all have three sources of networking possibilities: People who know you (family, co-workers, etc.), People who know about you (church members, community associates, etc.), and People you want to know (politicians, celebrities, business people, etc.).

I teach that you should never be shy about asking for help. What are they going to do to you? Tell you yes, or no. If the answer is no, I always ask if there is someone they can refer me too.

Having the ability to communicate what your needs are, is essential for our youth. The old saying, "A closed mouth, is never fed", is very true. Having the skills to know what to ask for and then who to ask, can literally mean the difference between a full stomach or starving to death. Work Your Village!!



1 comment:

  1. What about 40something adults who never had the confidence to complete college? The adult who never had anyone to tell them they could do it. The displaced housewife or single parent who has no clue as to his or her talents or abilities. Those middle agers who feel useless. I would like to see something created to help this type of person figure out his talent and then taught to develop the talent.

    ReplyDelete

Please pass this on

Dalton will inspire your heart

Iphone friendly version